Heres whats kept me busy today so I don't let on to the girls whats making mama so sad today;
Late last night as I was scrolling the net I heard a lil tiny familliar voice next to me say "I buuuuuurp". EEEK there was Lana looking rather flushed and covered in some sort of stickyness. She spent the night with a nasty lil fever and most of the day today she slept. It was suggested to give her low sugar sports drink (eeeeeeew) to avoid dehydration. Sorry mama doesn't seem to have any bottles of fake sugar,color and chemical drink laying around here to rot litle teeth *shrug* A bit of whey leftover from straining yogurt and some water topped off with apple juice seemed to do the trick just fine ;) the lil peep seems to be getting back to herself already. I think I like having whey on hand. I got my yogurt start from this Blog a whole year of crockpotting! wooohoooo she's my hero! I sure do love my crockpot! Heres the basic directions adapted from that blog post:
Crockpot Yogurt
1 half gallon of milk
1/2c of good quality yogurt.
Dump the milk in the crockpot and turn it on high for 2 hrs.
Unplug and let stand for 3hrs.
Temper the yogurt with some warm milk from the crockpot (about a cup) then add the mix (aka starter) to your crockpot full of milk.
Let stand from 12-24 hrs to "yogue"
I then sometimes strain this yogurt with a colander lined with coffee filters or cheesecloth to make some uber thick an yummy yogurt and also to have some whey on hand.
The lil birdz and I like the yogurt mixed in with some yummy granola. Heres the basic recipe:
3c rollled oats
1/2c oil
1/2-3/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c flax seeds
1/4 c crushed pecans
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp vanilla
large dash ginger
large dash nutmeg
or pumpkin pie spice...whatever floats yer boat.
pour the oats into a large micro proof bowl and microwave for 2mins stirring halfway.
add all the other ingreadents and microwave for 4 minutes stirring a couple times in between.
Dump it all out onto some waxed paper to cool.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment